HOUSTON -- A Houston mother is claiming that a dosage error led to the death of her daughter, so she is suing her longtime pharmacy.
6-year-old Jadalyn died after taking a dose of morphine 10 times higher than her prescription called for, Simone Allen, mother of Jadalyn, said. Jadalyn had been taking morphine in liquid form for sickle cell anemia.
[ Learn more about sickle cell anemia ]
The medicine was supposed to help her with pain, but ended up killing her, Allen said.
Jadalyn died in April 2012, one day after taking a large dosage of the painkiller, according to a lawsuit filed this week. The lawsuit states that the cause of death for the 6-year-old was “morphine toxicity.”
Allen’s lawyer, Muhammad Aziz, was hoping that the case could be settled out of court, he said. But the pharmacy’s insurance company has blamed the death on Jadalyn’s blood disorder, rather than pharmacy error.
The coroner’s report and pharmacy records are evidence enough to support the claim, Aziz said.
Because of Texas law, the damages in the case are capped at $250,000.
Sickle cell anemia is a disease in which misshapen red blood cells slow the delivery of oxygen throughout the body. Symptoms include swelling of the hands and feet, fatigue, frequent infections, and periods of pain.