The parents of a 13-year-old girl with a peanut allergy who died at Camp Sacramento have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city.
"It's like accountability, it's like any lawsuit," said attorney Roger Dryer.
Dreyer is representing the parents of Natalie Giorgi, who died in July after eating a Rice Krispie treat that was made with peanut butter. She went into shock and suffocated despite injections from three “EpiPens." Dreyer says camp officials had been made aware of her allergy and are liable for what happened.
"They put a sign up, they put the notice up, 'this has nuts in it,' she doesn't eat it. She was vigilant about not eating nut products," concluded Dryer.
He says the case is the next step in creating awareness. The Giorgis have set up a foundation and testified before the legislature.