A 14-year-old boy is being credited with saving an elderly man and his dog from an apartment fire in Fairfield.  

Latrell McCockran was visiting a friend at an apartment complex on Grande Circle Monday evening and smelled smoke.  

He grabbed a fire extinguisher then saw an elderly disabled man struggling to get out of his apartment.  

McCockran helped the man to safety, then went back in and rescued the dog.  

The fire quickly went to four alarms.  

McCockran suffered minor injuries and smoke inhalation and was treated at a local hospital.