An increasing number of dogs are winding up in vet offices because of marijuana poisoning.

California ranks No. 1 in the nation for dogs that ingest pot and see enough problems from it to wind up needing care.

Vets say it's just like any other downer -- prescribed or not -- and the results can be serious.

In fact, Trupanion, a pet insurance company, says they've paid out more than $50,00 in claims because of this.

UC Davis Vet Hospital says they saw dozens of cases last year, and a few more in just the past couple weeks.

The problem is that dogs usually go for edibles left unattended.

And what's in a cookie or brownie is meant for adults, Fido obviously weighs a lot less.