The California Senate is making this month Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. Senator Ricardo Lara told colleagues yesterday, June is a major month for the LGBT community and their fight for equality. "The people we are honoring today have dedicated their lives to achieving equality for the LGBT community," said Assemblymember Evan Low (D-Silicon Valley), Chair of the California Legislative LGBT Caucus. "It is an honor to recognize such a remarkable group of advocates whose hard work and determination are an inspiration to us all."
Lara also noted this year is the 47th anniversary of the Stonewall riots in New York City following a police raid on a gay bar in Lower Manhattan.
Photo courtesy California Legislative LGBT Caucus
The resolution encourages all people in California to celebrate the contributions made by the LGBT community, plus make sure they have equality in the state and nation.
- Mikayla Connell, Police Officer at the San Francisco Police Department
- Robert Gleason, President and Chief Executive Officer of Evans Hotels
- Roma Pauline Guy, Activist and Founder of San Francisco Women’s Building
- Joel Flatow, Chief of West Coast Operations and Artist & Industry Relations for the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA)
- Daniel Jimenez, Activist and Volunteer at the San Joaquin Pride Center
- Ken Jones, Activist and Member of the BART Police Department Citizen Review Board
- Michaela Mendelsohn, Pollo West Corp & Mi Pollo, Inc.
- Russell Roybal, Deputy Executive Director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Brian Reagan, Manager of Pulse Night Club and survivor of Orlando, FL shooting
- Rick Zbur, Executive Director of Equality California
- Chris Verdugo and Dr. Tim Seelig on behalf of the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus