Assemblyman Jim Patterson (R-Fresno) joined his fellow Assemblymembers in honoring the 90th Scripps National Spelling Bee winner and Fresno resident Ananya Vinay with a resolution presentation on Monday. The 12-year-old Vinay also received a similar honor in the California Senate.
Besides making a stop at the Capitol in Sacramento, Vinay has made appearances on the Jimmy Kimmel Show and LIVE with Kelly and Ryan. She was also rode in style to Oakland to watch her favorite team, the Golden State Warriors, in a playoff game.
Things to Know About Ananya Vinay:
- Ananya will be a 7th grader in the fall.
- She spelled “gifblaar” and “marocain” correctly to win.
- She’s the first person to win outright since 2013 – three previous Bee’s ended in ties.
- Her favorite word is Spizzerinctum which means “the ambition to succeed.”
- Some words she spelled correctly to win included Hypapante, poulaine, wayzgoose, cheiropompholyx.