- Republican Assemblyman Kevin Kiley of Rocklin is running to replace Gavin Newsom as governor in the upcoming recall election. He'll be running against fellow Republicans Kevin Faulconer, the former mayor of San Diego and businessman John Cox who was soundly defeated by Newsom in the 2018 election for governor. Other Republicans include former Sacramento area Congressman Doug Ose and celebrity candidate Caitlyn Jenner. Kiley will hold his official kickoff rally this Saturday at the State Capitol.
- The number of Sacramento County children getting vaccinated against COVID-19 is lower than the state average. Data from the state's Department of Health shows around 35% of those aged 12 to 17 have received at least one shot of the vaccine in Sacramento County. The statewide average is 40%. Vaccination rates in neighboring counties are higher with Yolo County out-pacing Sacramento by 10%.
- Sacramento is in the midst of the 4th driest water year on record. The National Weather Service says in the Water Year 2021, which ended on May 31st, Sacramento only received 7.8 inches of rain. Sacramento also experienced the second highest ever temperature in May with 106 degrees The record is 107 back in 1984.This weekend we're expecting temperatures in the region to go possibly as high as 115 degrees.
- The president of Haiti is dead, assassinated by people who broke into his home overnight. President Jovenel Moise was fatally shot around 1 a.m. by unidentified Spanish-speaking assailants. The 53-year-old president's wife was also shot but survived and is hospitalized. Moise was a former banana exporter who spent the last year in a political fight with the opposition over the terms of his presidency. He claimed his five-year term should end next year while the opposition says he should have left office in February.
- One of the leading investment minds in the world says there are certain areas where you should put your money... And sectors you should stay away from. Jon Gray is the president and chief operating officer of Blackstone - one of the world's leading investment organizations. Here's what he told Bloomberg wealth with David Rubinstein. Source for this video found here.
- While virtually every automaker is pouring money into developing electric vehicles... The next big frontier in electric powered transportation may be electric powered boat. Source for this video can be found here.
- The Biden administration continues to encourage Americans to get vaccinated. But a large number, especially younger Americans, are refusing to get a shot. And West Virginia Governor Jim Justice (R) says those who are choosing to not get vaccinated are, "taking part in a death lottery." Here's what he told ABC News...