- The California Department of Public Health is recommending indoor masking regardless of vaccination status to prevent the spread of the deadly Delta variant. More than 90% of California's population is currently living in areas considered to be substantial or high transmission under federal guidelines. Health officials explain vaccinated persons can still transmit the variant to unvaccinated persons, putting them at risk of hospitalization and even death, so they are recommending universal masking to curb harmful infections.
- Two parent groups, "Reopen California Schools" and "Let Them Breathe" claim the mask requirements at schools is more harmful than helpful to students. The current mask requirement applies to kindergarten students through 12-th graders and health officials have stated it allows for full-time in-person learning where all students will be treated the same, whether they’re vaccinated or not.
- Richard Brown, head of the state employees union local 1000 is resisting California's push to provide proof of vaccination or get tested for COVID-19. On Twitter, Brown is urging his fellow state workers to "cease and desist" against Newsom. Brown also sent a letter to the California Department of Human Resources, objecting to the new rules. Other labor unions have indicated support for the mask mandate, but SEIU 1000 is fighting the change. State workers currently have until August 2nd to verify their vaccination status.
- The death toll is rising in connection with that deadly plane crash in Truckee on Monday. The Nevada County Coroner's office now reports there were six-people on board. Flight logs show the jet was big enough to carry 16-people and was traveling from the Couer D'Alene, Idaho. Witnesses say the plane banked and couldn't recover as it was approaching the runway at the Truckee-Tahoe Airport. The NTSB is investigating.
- Frustration is boiling over in the halls of congress over the new mask mandates being ordered around the country and even in the halls of congress, even for those who have been vaccinated.
- If you're looking for an example of what happens to a city that defunds their police department... Look no farther than Seattle. Crime in the city is soaring, and police officers are leaving in droves. And now the mayor, Jenny Durkan, is virtually pleading with her city council to stop the madness.