California is extending the paid Covid-19 sick leave. Originally set to expire at the end of September, the Governor's office issued an update Friday afternoon that extends the sick leave option until the end of the year. Now through December 31st 2022, you can claim paid Covid-19 sick leave if you work in California for an employer of 26 or more people. The state also allows for this time to be utilized regardless of immigration status.
You can claim the paid the sick leave for at least one of the following reasons:
- You get Covid
- A family member has Covid and you need to care for them.
- You need to attend a vaccination appointment (includes boosters, like the new updated bivalent boosters)
- You need to recover from getting vaccinated (includes boosters)
- You need to take care of a family member who needs to get a vaccination, or recover from a vaccination or booster
- You need to take care of a child who cannot attend school because of virus-related closures or quarantines