With 24 museums participating by offering complimentary admission, the 21stAnnual Free Museum Day takes place on Saturday, February 2, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. New this year, the popular day is also the kick-off to Sacramento Museum Week (February 2-8, 2019) filled with special events, activities and activations at various museums. While admission is complimentary to everyone on Free Museum Day only, regular admission applies at all museums during Sacramento Museum Week. Coordinated by Sacramento Area Museums (SAM) with the support of Visit Sacramento, Free Museum Day and Sacramento Museum Week in 2019 are proudly presented by Sutter Health and sponsored by California Family Fitness.
“We are thrilled to present the 21stAnnual Free Museum Day plus extend the fun by offering a new Sacramento Museum Week this year,” said Sacramento Area Museums Chair Delta Pick Mello. “We’d especially like to thank our presenting sponsor Sutter Health and our returning sponsor California Family Fitness for providing much-needed resources to help us to present these important events. Our continuing goal as a collaborative organization is to introduce the community to the amazing array of arts, culture and museum offerings available in the greater Sacramento region.”
Free Museum Day is a popular cultural tradition designed to encourage all members of the community to experience the Capital City’s incredible wealth of art, history, science and wildlife, free of charge. Many of the museums are within walking distance of each other and easily accessible via public transportation.
And, to help easily and conveniently transport guests who wish to visit multiple museums in Sacramento’s urban core, Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT) is offering free rides on all buses and light rail trains on Saturday, February 2 only with a printed SacRT Museum Day flyer (only one flyer needed per family or group). A screen shot of the flyer from a smartphone is also acceptable. To print or display the flyer, please visit www.sacrt.com . For more information specifically about SacRT park-and-ride stations and schedules, visit sacrt.com/services .
On Free Museum Day, event coordinators suggest that guests plan to visit no more than two or three different museums on this day in order to allow adequate time to enjoy the experience and to travel between individual sites. Due to the popularity of Free Museum Day, some locations must limit the number of admissions for safety reasons.The event is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. but note the last guests will be admitted at 4 p.m.
New in 2019, Free Museum Day is the kick-off to a week filled with special activities presented by various museums and popular destinations. While a comprehensive listing will be available on the website ( www.SacMuseums.org ), a sampling of the special activities follows:
- Saturday, 2/2 (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.) – 24 local museums and popular destinations offer free admission along with some that will present special activities for guests;
- Sunday, 2/3 (11 a.m. to 2 p.m.) – the California Automobile Museum offers “Downtown Sunday Drives” in vintage cars;
- Monday, 2/4 (11 to 11:30 a.m.) – the California State Railroad Museum presents an “All Aboard for Story Time” children’s reading activity;
- Tuesday, 2/5 (6 to 8:30 p.m.) – Verge Center for the Arts offers a real-life Adult Drop-In Figure Drawing class;
- Wednesday, 2/6 (10 a.m.) – the California State Library will conduct special guided tours on this day and during Museum Week Tuesday and Thursday. Museum Day tours will be on request.
- Thursday, 2/7 (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) – Locke Art Studio will offer a free Joy Kuo Master silk screen printing demonstration;
- Friday, 2/8 (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.) – Cemetery volunteers will be available to answer questions about the Cemetery, help visitors find specific graves or assist with their genealogical research.
More detailed information about participating museums, addresses, limitations, suggested parking and public transit options is available at www.sacmuseums.org (click on “News & Events”), or by calling Visit Sacramento at 916-808-7777.
Participating Museums for Free Museum Day on February 2, 2019*
Aerospace Museum of California – California Automobile Museum – California Museum – California State Capitol Museum – California State Library – California State Railroad Museum – Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum – Folsom History Museum – Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park – Locke Boarding House Museum – Maidu Museum & Historic Site – SSVMS Museum of Medical History – Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum – Powerhouse Science Center – Roseville Utility Exploration Center – Sacramento Children’s Museum – Sacramento Historic City Cemetery – Sacramento History Museum – Sojourner Truth African American Museum – State Indian Museum – Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park – Verge Center for the Arts – Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall) – Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento)
*Not all SAM member museums will be able to officially participate in Free Museum Day on February 2, 2019, by offering complimentary admission so please review the participant list carefully and/or contact them directly with any museum-specific questions.
18 Local Restaurants & Eateries Extend Special Offers on Free Museum Day
Eighteen local restaurants are extending special offers and discounts to those who attend Free Museum Day on Saturday, February 2, 2019. Twenty-four museums are offering complimentary admission as part of the 21 st Annual Free Museum Day that takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Coordinated by Sacramento Area Museums (SAM) with the support of Visit Sacramento, Free Museum Day and Sacramento Museum Week in 2019 are proudly presented by Sutter Health and sponsored by California Family Fitness.
The following local restaurants and eateries are extending special offers on February 2 to those wearing a Sacramento Area Museum sticker they receive at any of the participating museums and destinations that day only (or displaying the sticker on their smartphones):
-Backbone Café (729 J Street) –15 percent off entire order
-Crazy for Yogurt (four locations: 5150 Arden Way in Carmichael, 4005 Manzanita Ste. 39 in Carmichael, 10824 Olson Drive #D in Rancho Cordova & 2095 Golden Centre Lane #20 in Gold River) – 20 percent off any purchase of $5 or more
- Danny’s Mini Donuts (900 2 nd Street, Old Sacramento) – $1 off a dozen mini donuts
- Dos Coyotes (two locations in Sacramento - 6450 Folsom Blvd. #101 & 2701 Del Paso Road #160) – $6 two-taco basket
- The Firehouse (1112 2 nd Street, Old Sacramento) – 15 percent off food bill (excluding alcohol; restaurant open for dinner on Saturday)
- Hop Gardens (2904 Franklin Blvd.) – free appetizer with purchase of any 12" pizza
- Hoppy’s Railyard Kitchen & Hopgarden (1022 2 nd Street at the Old Sacramento Waterfront) – Friends & Family 15 percent off food purchase
- Marly and Moo (608 Sutter Street, Folsom) – 10 percent off bill (not valid with other discounts or offers)
- MOD Pizza (Howe Bout Arden) – buy one MOD size pizza, get a second for free (BOGO)
- Original Pete’s (5005 Foothills Blvd, Roseville) – 20 percent off bill (not valid with other discounts or offers)
-ThePizza Press – (405 K Street, Ste. 240 in DOCO) – buy one signature or “publish your own” pizza, get one half off
- Pizzeria Classico (702 Sutter Street, Suite A in Folsom) – 15 percent off bill
- RareTea (414 K Street, Ste. 225 in DOCO) – 10 percent off in-store purchases
- Sourdough & Co (5005 Foothills Blvd. #7, Roseville) – 20% off bill (not valid with other discounts or offers)