UC Davis Officials Warn 200 May Have Been Exposed To Measles

UC Davis Medical Center is warning in letter sent to approximately 200 people they may have been exposed to measles. Hospital officials said those people may have been exposed in the Emergency Department on March 17th. It was on that day that a patient came in with a rash that turned out to be measles. A hospital spokesperson told News 93.1 KFBK that the letters went out on March 25th and 26th. 

Among those to be exposed was 7-year-old Jackson Souza. His mother, Rayna Souza, told Fox 40 that Jackson has a terminal condition resulting in brain tumors. He reportedly went into UC Davis Medical Center on March 17th suffering from seizures. Just days later, hospital officials notifed the Souza's that Jackson had been treated in the same room where the infected patient had been seen by doctors a short time earlier.

Souza also said she was told by doctors that the infected patient was a young girl who had contracted the highly contagious disease on an overseas trip. Her parents had reportedly decided not to have her vaccinated.

Dr. Dean Blumberg is the chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children's Hospital. He said in a statement that as soon as measles was suspected in that case, "we took appropriate precautions in the areas the patient had visited, including an exam room."

Hospital personnel also had no idea the girl was infected at the time she was in the emergency department, according to Blumberg. Regarding Jackson, Blumberg also said, "we do not believe he has measles. The last time our doctors evaluated him on April 2, which is 16 days after exposure, he did not have measles."

"Aside from the one case on March 17, there are no further measles cases or symptomatic patients at UC Davis Medical Center at this time. In an abundance of caution, we sent the attached letter to patients who may have been in the vicinity of that patient."

 

title

Content Goes Here