Listen: Cindy Marks, ASO Officer, Sacramento County Office of Human Assistance.
The Heroes of Human Service Awards recognition was created to honor those who have touched the lives of others through their advocacy, dedication, service and support throughout Sacramento County.
On Tuesday, November 5, the Board of Supervisors recognized and awarded “Human Service Awards” to heroes in their districts.
District 1 – Phil Serna
- Dr. Michéle Evans and Dr. Dorothy Wilborn - Kaiser Permanente Child Abuse Services and Prevention
- Melissa Tafoya - Rock Steady Boxing
District 2 – Patrick Kennedy
- Peggy Delgado Fava - Bridge Network
- Golden Rule Services
District 3 – Susan Peters
- Carol Watts - National Night Out
- Marilyn Koenig - Friends of Survival
- Dorothy Cabodi - Orangevale Woman’s Club
District 4 – Sue Frost
- Judi Alexander - HART of Folsom
- Jason Green - Rio Linda Elverta Historical Society
- Rick Edwards - Papa Steve Football Fundamentals Camp
District 5 – Don Nottoli
- Dr. Bhavin Parikh - Kaiser Permanente South Sacramento Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry
- Glenda Bliss - First Call Hospice
- Brenda Lampela - City of Refuge - Women’s Safe House in Oak Park
- Odette Crawford - Sacramento County (CASA)
Nominations were considered in categories of:
- Social work
- Mental health care
- Dependent care
- Job training
- Shelter services
- Health programs
- Financial assistance
- After school programs
- Nutrition services
- Substance abuse services
- Legal and criminal justice services
- Recreation services
A person/group could be nominated for extraordinary efforts exhibited by commitment, dedication and dependability over a period of time OR a person/group may be nominated for a one-time specific situation or incident that exhibited extraordinary effort.
All nominees demonstrated a commitment to human services through efforts to provide residents of Sacramento County with the resources, services, supports, or opportunities needed to enhance quality of life and social functioning.
Congratulations to all the 2019 awardees and on behalf of Sacramento County, we thank you for being Heroes of Human Service!