SMUD’s Shine program is now accepting applications
Interested nonprofits must apply by July 27
SMUD announced today that the application period for its Shine program is now open. Shine is a community development program designed to improve and revitalize neighborhoods in the Sacramento region.
Shine awards will range from $5,000 to $100,000 and are very competitive. Any nonprofit organization — 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) — within SMUD’s service territory, is eligible to apply. Shine awards are available at three funding levels: Spark (up to $10,000), Amplifier (up to $50,000) and Transformer (up to $100,000). Applications will be accepted through Monday, July 27.
While SMUD will consider a variety of projects, it is primarily interested in proposals in the following areas:
• Community education related to energy efficiency, renewable energy, health and safety, technology skills, and STEM education (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
• Neighborhood revitalization or beautification
• Environmental, energy efficiency, energy conservation or greenhouse gas reduction
• Services provided to low-income electricity customers
• Community and workforce development, particularly for diverse and under-served communities
• Public transit access and safety, access and safety for walkability
SMUD will be holding informational webinars to help nonprofit organizations maximize their submissions. RSVP to Shine@smud.org with the workshop you would like to attend.
• Friday, June 5: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Monday, June 15: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Wednesday, July 1: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
• Monday, July 13: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Wednesday, July 22: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.
In 2019, SMUD awarded nearly $400,000 in Shine sponsorships to 19 local nonprofits. SMUD received a wide range of applications, and the selected projects were able to demonstrate collaboration and broad neighborhood impact.
Each year SMUD contributes approximately $3 million in cash and in-kind services to community-based organizations. SMUD will continue to support healthy, vibrant and economically sustainable neighborhoods for all of our customers with a special eye to improving equity in our region through SMUD’s Sustainable Communities Initiative. For more information and for access to the application, visit SMUD.org/Shine.