The popular Sacramento Archives Crawl turns 10 this year, and while social distancing protocols do not allow for the event to take place in person as usual, the event is going online with a month-long virtual celebration in October to coincide with National Archives Month.Listen, Kim Hayden, archivist with the Center for Sacramento History.
Throughout October, the community is invited to check the Sacramento Archives Crawl Facebook page for daily videos, Facebook Live tours, and photo exhibits from 17 archives and special collections libraries around the Sacramento region. Participants will see treasures from their collections, go on virtual tours of their storage vaults, and participate in Facebook Live tours and sessions.
This 2020 theme is “Sacramento Archives Crawl: Celebrating 10 Years!” Some of the videos and exhibits will focus on women’s suffrage, film digitization and preservation, photo preservation and restoration, Sacramento’s 1922 “Days of ’49” event, the Lodi Grape Festival, St. Mary’s Chapel in Rocklin, historic Folsom residents, and the DeWitt Hospital in Auburn. There will also be video and Facebook Live tours of the California State Archives, California State Library, California State Railroad Museum Library & Archives, Center for Sacramento History, University of the Pacific Holt-Atherton Special Collections and Archives, and Yolo County Archives & Records Center.
For more information about the 10th Annual Sacramento Archives Crawl, please visit www.sacarchivescrawl.com.
The following institutions and vendors will be participating:
- California State Archives
- California State Library
- California State Railroad Museum Library & Archives
- Center for Sacramento History
- Cox Black and White Lab
- El Dorado County Historical Museum
- Folsom Historical Society
- Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park
- Placer County Archives and Research Center
- Rocklin Historical Society
- Root Cellar – Sacramento Genealogical Society
- Sacramento Public Library’s Sacramento Room
- San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
- UC Davis Library, Archives and Special Collections
- University of the Pacific, Holt-Atherton Special Collections and Archives
- West Sacramento Historical Society
- Yolo County Archives and Records Center
Now in its 10th year, the Sacramento Archives Crawl is normally held the first Saturday of October in celebration of National Archives Month. Archives and special collections libraries from around the Sacramento region display their rarely seen treasures at four host sites in downtown Sacramento (the Center for Sacramento History, Sacramento Public Library, California State Library, and California State Archives), and participants can take behind-the-scenes tours, participate in a scavenger hunt, and attend free lectures by local historians.