- Twenty-seven-year Sac PD veteran Kathy Lester is set to become Sacramento’s 46th Chief of Police and the first woman to hold the position. The Army Veteran and Sacramento native started as a dispatcher and served as a community service officer before becoming a sworn police officer in 1996. Lester rose through the ranks to become Deputy Chief of Operations. As Chief, she'll lead a department of more than 1,100 sworn and civilian staff.
- A snowstorm is hitting the Greater Lake Tahoe area. The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning lasting through Tuesday night in the Sierra Nevada. The snow should get up to eight feet in higher elevations along with strong winds of more than 100 mph. Gusts of up to 50 mph in lower areas are also expected. The weather service says travel to the area is expected to be "difficult-to-impossible." Motorists are advised to avoid travel if possible and who must travel should carry an emergency kit with extra food, water, and clothing.
- California Governor Gavin Newsom wants legislation introduced in the next session of the state legislature to crack down on assault rifles and ghost guns. Specifically, he wants to use the strategy behind Texas' abortion law to enable citizens to sue anyone who makes or sells assault rifles and ghost guns in the state. Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court let stand a Texas law that allows private citizens to sue anyone who aids in an abortion. Governor Newsom, a Democrat, says he wants to empower citizens to help tackle the sale of assault rifles. As an extra incentive, the governor wants anyone who sues -- and wins -- to be awarded $10,000.
- Speaker Nancy Pelosi will stay until at least after the midterm elections, extending her nearly 20-year run as the House's top Democrat after she turns 82 and, perhaps, beyond. Sources familiar with Pelosi's thinking say she isn't ruling out the possibility of trying to stay in leadership after 2022, despite her original vow to leave as the top House Democrat.
- This Atmospheric River will continue to bring unsettled weather, with the heaviest rain & snow impacting NorCal tonight thru Tuesday morning.
- A Democrat Governor says the COVID emergency is over, and that's why he is not mandating masks.
- What Is a Stay Interview?
- After 18 years, Chris Wallace has announced he will no longer host Fox News Sunday.
- One Senator is speaking up about U.S. citizens, green card holders and SIV-eligible Afghans who are still stranded in Afghanistan.